Our homes’ electrical systems are so ubiquitous, it’s easy to forget they’re there. They just work! Likewise, there are various electrical appliances in our homes we take for granted every day. They just work—until they don’t. Or, they can stop working right when we need them the most.
But as long as you’re having your system maintained regularly, there’s nothing to fear. In particular, here are three electrical services you should have performed to ensure you and your family remain safe.
1. Generator Maintenance
Whole-house generators are there to power your home in the event of an emergency blackout. They’re one of those appliances that you usually don’t think about until the moment you need it—and then it suddenly becomes the most important appliance in the home. Of course, that’s only if it actually works when you need it to.
Due to the long downtime these devices face, it’s not entirely uncommon for them to fall into disrepair. Regular maintenance, however, will assure that your generator is working all year-round and for the time you need it. Some common generator problems that can be fixed by maintenance include:
- Dead batteries
- Fuel or coolant leaks
- Low oil, coolant, or fuel
2. Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector Service
No device in your home is more important for your safety than your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Smoke detectors are straightforward: they alert you when there’s a fire.
As for carbon monoxide detectors, they’re not as commonly understood. If your home is using a gas furnace—or any other appliance powered by natural gas—a carbon monoxide detector is a necessary safety device. Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and deadly. If any of your appliances encounter a carbon monoxide leak, it’s up to the detector to alert you.
Having your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors tested and upgraded, if necessary, is essential to your safety.
3. Electrical Outlet Upgrades
In your bathroom, you may notice the electrical outlets have two buttons on them: a “test” and “reset” button. If not, then it’s time for your outlets to have an upgrade.
These type of outlets are called GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets. Their job is to cut off power to the outlet as soon as they detect any excess current. They’re commonly installed in bathrooms because those are the outlets that run the highest risk of making contact with water.
It’s more than just the bathrooms, however. The National Electrical Code requires kitchens, garages, accessory buildings, and the outdoors all use GFCI outlets. Although the exact details of the requirements are tricky, it’s nothing to worry about if you have a certified Naples, FL electrician there to help.
Amateur Electricians Need Not Apply
No matter what kind of electrical service you’re having performed, never have them done by an amateur. Many electrical problems happen due to work performed by someone without the proper experience and skill.